[kde-freebsd] repeated "BadDrawable" errors drive flickering

Jason W. Barnes jwbarnes at uidaho.edu
Wed Jul 11 13:36:23 UTC 2012

FreeBSD-KDE-ers:

 	I'm just did a portupgrade -a and have therefore upgraded to KDE 4.8.4
on my FreeBSD-7-STABLE amd64 system (a few days ago).
 	Everything seems to be in order -- except for KDE.  When I run KDE
applications, sometimes they keep repainting the window continuously, to the
point of unusability.  Other windows, sometimes of the same program
(konqueror), look fine.  As they keep repainting, the xterm that spawned them
gives me the error:

X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
   Major opcode: 62 (X_CopyArea)
   Resource id:  0x2e4c573

The repaints only happen when a window is the 'active' window, and when I'm
mousing around over it.  Here, I took an iPhone video of the problem in case
that helps:

http://barnesos.net/temp/IMG_1649.MOV

 	Firefox doesn't ever have this trouble -- just KDE apps.  The problem
occurs even if I run the KDE apps in TWM, so it's not a window manager thing.
 	I suspected Qt, but I can't find any other Qt-based application that
displays the same symptoms.  Hence I'm here, hoping that someone might be able
to help me out.  I'm getting desperate -- I've been using KDE for 10 years, and
I need the applications and functionality that I"m familiar with!
 	Hope me FreeBSD-KDE list:  you're my only hope!

 			- Jason W. Barnes