[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Jul 9 17:23:31 UTC 2012

Em Fri, 6 Jul 2012 14:39:44 -0300
joaoBR <joao at matik.com.br> escreveu:

> Em Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:31:24 +0200
> Alberto Villa <avilla at FreeBSD.org> escreveu:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM, joaoBR <joao at matik.com.br> wrote:
>  [...]
> >
> > portmaster -a.
>
> ok, I'll give it a try on another machine on monday

hey guys

seems portmaster has it's own setbacks when there are ports which do
not compile (as gstreamer-plugins actually) or are not fetchable and
simply bails out, so portmaster -a does not work either in a real life
environment

I believe that portmaster with it's ability of calculating the
dependency sequence has advantages for who has a quantity of
ports which are "there" and for sure compile

soon as this facts are not guaranteed, portmaster fails

bottomline for me, portupgrade is better because do not force me to do
what the tool-man invented, in this case of the kde4 port, I only need
to stick to a certain sequence of upgrading and then portupgrade works
just fine

since both do not work with the -a switch, here is an orientation how
to do it almost painless with portupgrade

upgrading anything what is not kde, beginning with lib\*, then gd and
gtk, then kdelibs, kdeworkspace,  and then everything else may work
with -a, eventually some particular ports need to be treated one-by-one
at the end

advantage of portupgrade is it keeps going after one port fails for any
reason, portmaster not, keeps waiting until papa appears :)

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team
http://wipserver.matik.com.br