[kde-freebsd] Phonon won't play mp3

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 07:30:37 UTC 2012

On Sunday, 8 July 2012 16:28:31 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com> writes:
> > I have tried both vlc and gstreamer backends as preferred and neither
> > work (also, the gstreamer backend causes amarok to crash [sig 11] on
> > exit).  I have checked that the mimetype is audio/mpeg for the mp3 file
> > and that both phononbackends/(gstreamer|vlc).desktop support it.
>
> Hmm. Do you get any useful console output when trying to play MP3 files?

No, nor in ~/.xsession-errors.  I also enabled all messages via kdebugdialog.

I did get something with:
# cat play.py
import gst, sys
bin = gst.element_factory_make("playbin")
bin.set_property("uri", "file://" + sys.argv[1])
bin.set_state(gst.STATE_PLAYING)
# python play.py ~/preview.mp3
** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
** Message: don't know how to handle audio/mpeg, mpegversion=(int)1,
mpegaudioversion=(int)1, layer=(int)3, rate=(int)44100, channels=(int)2,
parsed=(boolean)true

Which looked very suspicious:
# pkg info -l gstreamer-plugins-mp3
gstreamer-plugins-mp3-0.10.0_1 owns the following files:

So, the package is empty!!!  But it turns out it is a meta package that points
to gstreamer-plugins-mad-mp3 and gstreamer-plugins-fluendo-mp3 which were not
installed.

Upon investigation I have determined that it was due to the changeover to the
new options framework: many of my port options files are still in the old
format and it appears things got mixed up.

Thanks for your help.  I'll do a rebuild soonish (of all ports) that should
fix things.

Regards