[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Fri Jul 6 18:06:23 UTC 2012

Em Fri, 6 Jul 2012 12:47:55 +0200
Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> escreveu:

> 2012/7/6 joaoBR <joao at matik.com.br>:
> > Em Fri, 6 Jul 2012 00:45:38 +0200
> > Alberto Villa <avilla at FreeBSD.org> escreveu:

> What do you mean by "manual intervention" ? Because I don't see
> anything in which could be related in :
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/devel/qt4/files/Makefile.options
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11-toolkits/qt4-gui/
>
> >> No one touched that file in the past two weeks. It has been working
> >> for years.
> >
> > well, qt-gui just got an upgrade and the above file was pulled in
> > by it
> >
> > now the problem is gone
>
> As someone suggested, can the problem be caused by a corrupted ports
> tree ? I don't know how you update your ports tree and if you switched
> from one tool to another, and sorry but I don't have the time to read
> again all the mails from the thread. I'd suggest running "portsnap
> fetch extract" (not update) so that all your ports tree is replaced by
> a good copy. Because, maybe, an insignificant update to qt4 or qt4-gui
> replaced the (bad) files you had in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt4-gui/
> or /usr/ports/devel/qt4/.
>
> As for upgrading ports, I now use "portmaster -adw" and I'm happy with
> it. Of course, I also read UPDATING.
>
> In my case, the last few KDE updates went flawless with portmaster and
> careful UPDATING reading. I don't see how you can have problems
> installing kde4 on a clean machine with a fresh ports tree and no
> ports installed, as a last resort. But removing and then reinstalling
> all your ports would consume time, so we try to help you just repair
> the broken ports you have.

Olivier and Alberto

thanks for your input but for any reason we are not talking the same
language. I am not a newcomer or an accountant. I work long long time
with FreeBSD, probably since the very beginning. When wired things
happens,  before asking around, we check our environment and go sure we
have nothing wrong "within our understandings" Beside that our
portstree is sitting on separate ZFS mirror and even if I never believe
that it is a file error, we always work on a clean ports tree, so the
ports tree was not a problem

Second misunderstanding is, my machine is working since days, I know
how to solve such simple problems, I wanted to bring it to the
attention of whom might be interested.

I certainly do not go out wining and having my machine not funcional
until the end of some discussion, it was fixed before I started talking
here

Still I am convinced that even if if portmaster -a solve the problem,
the real problem is missing good documentation. For example, if
portupgrade is not the right tool, then why it is nowhere clearly said?

Put into UPDATING "Do not use portupgrade, use portmaster", but of
course I am talking about some more compreensive documentation, this
site http://freebsd.kde.org/ is kind of very poor and info about
packages and stuff from other distros hardly apply for FreeBSD, so
everything ends up in a seek-and-try game what is not very nice
[sometimes] ... even if the educational value is very high :)

well, I will not extend this too much here

anyway, thanks for all intents to help, after running the portmaster -a
I tell you if it solved my problem or not

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team
http://wipserver.matik.com.br