[kde-freebsd] kde4 upgrade

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Tue Jul 3 11:11:08 UTC 2012

advice for weak hearts and ego-defenders :) please do not read it, or
at least do not answer ... nothing personal here, only facts and some
fucked up computer desktops

some weeks ago, my first upgrade to 4.8.4 from the former version was a
nightmare, but as always I thought it was me not doing it right

after deleting everything and making a clean install from ports, still
some important things did not worked anymore, as example openGL was
fine with the former version, but 4.8.4 falls back to xRender and sticks
to it. mouse pointer changed into a wired alien square after some time
and needs reboot to reappear correctly

well, I waited to learn more for upgrading another machine, because I
looked for more documentation and now I felt I could risk it

so I started again ...

and again, everything is fucked up and nothing works, certain ports are
failing to install for missing dependencies, now this machine is
compiling downloading and fucking itself since yesterday noon,
seems it likes it, because it is still repeating it over and over
again ...

scripts made for or used by portupgrade and portmaster routines
are simply a big fucking shit and fail constantly under certain
conditions

as example, IMO, the most damaging fuck is in
qt4/files/makefile.options, which needs to be manipulated manually
otherwise a lot of dependencies are mixed and fucked up and missing,
this is a problem since month now and I wonder why nobody repairs it and
nobody talks about it

even so, the upgrade script download hundred of megs, only this
300Mb icon them monster is annoying, specially because no new icon is
added ... but then the script fails telling that it is already
installed

so what, the script checks if the correct version is installed and
then fails installing because it is not upgrading the already
installed version

great

then, one of my favorites, it downloads the port, compiles it,
uninstall the old port and then fails installing the new port
because of missing some shit somewhere *AND* does not re-installed the
uninstalled port and so the system is without it and fails the
following ports or at least some of it

then, after starring all the time on the screen in order not to miss a
thing ... finally it ends and gives me the # back

well, kdm does not start anymore, kde-runtime is missing and roundabout
100 other ports

seems that kde4 is now beyond *everybody's?* capacity, at least with
freebsd portstree handling mechanism like portmaster and portupgrade

funny is, how the fedora guys do it? yum update, having a coffee or two
and everything is running fine, are they soooo much brighter then the
kde-people?

or how do you guys do it? is there a secret I do not know? Is it one of
the famous not-outspoken-and-not-documented freebsd secrets?

But I guess I know the secret, nobody does it ... :)

so now I am just hitting enter to the fourth odyssey of 'portinstall
kde-runtime' ... lets see what new surprises come up

in order not to feel so *funny*  about everything, I uninstalled
meanwhile everything on another computer, installed gnome metacity,
installed claws-mail, chromium and kde's konsole which is the only app
what truthfully made me use it, kmail went already before into the
sh*_box, and hooo, after 1hour everything  I need was up and running

so is there still some sense to use kde4 ?

is there really somebody using it on FreeBSD?

and only to complete:

20120525:
  AFFECTS: users of KDE SC 4
  AUTHOR: kde at FreeBSD.org

  KDE SC ports have been updated to 4.8.3. Several ports were split,
  thus manual intervention into update procedure is required:

  # pkg_delete -f kde-runtime-\* ruby\*-kdebindings-korundum\* \
    kalgebra-4\* kdeaccessibility-4\* kdeutils-4\* kde-baseapps-\* \
    plasma-applet-icontasks\*
  # portmaster -a

this does not work even with the help of god and daemons, so why do you
write it?

João Martins (JoaoBR)

Infomatik Development Team
http://wipserver.matik.com.br