[kde-freebsd] MySQL55 (Akonadi) bites other ports

tom at diogunix.com tom at diogunix.com
Sun Jan 29 00:47:16 UTC 2012

Hello list,

I recently stumbled across a problem with MySQL Workbench, which doesn't
compile the port if MySQL 55 is installed.

As MySQL 55 gets installed with the installation of KDE, I jsut had no other
quick "solution" but to remove MySQL 55 though it's needed for Akonadi and
the PIM programs.

Of course I now can't use KMail and the other Akonadi dependent software.

The proper solution was (of course) to make the Workbench port build with
MySQL 55. I even tried to contact the MySQl internals list to get
information on how to make that happen. Unfortunately, I did not get even
one single reply.

So, my proposal was, to just modify the KDE port and ask the user on whether
to build KDE/Akonadi with MySQL 5.5 oder with MySQL 5.5.

I do actually not know whether KDE needs certain MySQL 55 features.
I just guess, MySQL 5.1 was fine too.

Any comments ?

kind regards
Tom