[kde-freebsd] phonon, xine, what to do...

Raphael Kubo da Costa rakuco at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 28 13:57:04 UTC 2012

Olivier Smedts <olivier at gid0.org> writes:

> I've been a happy user of phonon-xine and libxine for quite some time,
> but with the update of libxine to 1.2.1, phonon-xine refuses to
> compile :
>         ===>>> This port is marked BROKEN
>         ===>>> deprecated upstream; refuses to build with libxine 1.2.x
>
> So, what is recommended for now, and what will be recommended for KDE
> 4.8 (if different) ? Every time I try phonon-vlc it crashes (sorry for
> the lack of details, if you want more I'll need to test again) and I'd
> like to avoid gstreamer and its plugins, if possible.

The two backends supported and actively developed upstream are
phonon-vlc and phonon-gstreamer. phonon-xine has not been updated or
received bug fixes for ages.

If phonon-vlc crashes for you, I suggest building it with debug symbols
and reporting the crash in bugs.kde.org, and/or giving phonon-gstreamer
a try.

> What about WITH_QT_PHONON, is it still deprecated for KDE4 users ?

Yes, Qt's copy of phonon has not been updated for years.