[kde-freebsd] Flash on FreeBSD8.2, KDE4 and Konqueror

Oliver Mahmoudi olivermahmoudi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 18:11:03 UTC 2012

On 2/2/12, Alberto Villa <avilla at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Oliver Mahmoudi <olivermahmoudi at gmail.com> writes:
>> > To get Flash to work on my FreeBSD 8.2 system and KDE 4/Konqueror I
>> > did the following:
>> >
>> > # kldload linux
>> > # cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10/
>> > # make install clean
>> > # cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper
>> > # make install clean
>> > # cd /usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin7
>> > # make install clean
>> > # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
>
> Please, uninstall linux_base-f10 and linux-flashplugin7, and try:
> # kldload linux
> # echo "compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
> # service sysctl restart
> # make install clean -C /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin11
> # nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
>
>> > Moreover, I think that documentation is rather poor:
>> >
>> > http://freebsd.kde.org/howtos/konqueror-flash.php just outlines half
>> > the steps there is to take. For example it is nowhere mentioned that
>> > the linux_base-f10/ port is a prerequisite to the install. Neither
>> > here nor in the manual. Someone should go ahead and change that.
>
> Yes, actually that page is completely abandoned. I still need to update it,
> thanks for the remainder.
> --
> Alberto Villa, FreeBSD committer <avilla at FreeBSD.org>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla
>
> A man who turns green has eschewed protein.

Thanks, for your quick replies. Since I didn't have the
/usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin11 port on my system, I first had
to upgrade my ports collection. Interestingly enough, the portupgrade
tool didn't get me the new port so
I used the portsnap utility which finally brought it to me.

Just to recap, I now essentially took the following steps to get it working:

# echo 'linux_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

Reboot

# echo "compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
# service sysctl restart
# make install clean -C /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin11
# cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean
# nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

The unfortunate thing about all this, is that it still doesn't work, i.e. what
actually happens is that Konqueror upon hitting a Flash video just
exits/crashes.

Maybe someone on this list knows more?

PS: I always thought that even though portsnap and portupgrade are
different programs, they are essentially there for same purpose!?!?