[kde-freebsd] [linimon at FreeBSD.org: ports/170946: [patch] mark certain ports broken on ARM]

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Sat Aug 25 15:27:09 UTC 2012

On 23.08.2012 21:47, Eitan Adler wrote:
> NOT and ONLY are meant for ports which by definition will never work
> another arch (think x86info).  In this case the ports are just broken.
That's a fine distinction, that makes little sense to me -- the total
number of ports, which can not ever work on some architecture is,
probably, a couple dozen... It is also not mentioned in the Handbook
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/dads-noinstall.html>
at all:

  *

    If a port should be marked IGNORE only on certain architectures,
    there are two other convenience variables that will automatically
    set IGNORE for you: ONLY_FOR_ARCHS and NOT_FOR_ARCHS. Examples:

    ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= i386 amd64
    NOT_FOR_ARCHS= ia64 sparc64

    A custom IGNORE message can be set using ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON and
    NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON. Per architecture entries are possible with
    ONLY_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/ and NOT_FOR_ARCHS_REASON_/ARCH/.

Thus, I still think, using these knobs is better -- especially, when
doing otherwise requires splitting bsd.ports.mk into
bsd.ports.{pre,post}.mk. Yours,

    -mi