[kde-freebsd] Cache seems to be missing

mrkvrg mrkvrg at acm.org
Tue Aug 14 17:44:27 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have recently upgraded kde4 to version 4.8.4 and am running it on an
up to date version of freebsd 8.2.  After working through this massive
upgrade I've noticed a series of messages that often appears when I
start a program:

KSharedDataCache: Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared
cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :(

KSharedDataCache: Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably
does not really support process-shared pthreads or semaphores, even
though it claims otherwise.

KSharedDataCache: Unable to unmap shared memory segment 0x2eb7400

After doing some research on the web I've also discovered that I do not
have any *.kcache files in /var/tmp/kdecache-$user.

My file and directory permissions are as follows:

  drwxr-xr-x  26 root  wheel   512  2012-08-13 15:42  var

  drwxrwxrwt   8 root    wheel   18432  2012-08-14 12:58  tmp

  drwx------  9 joe   wheel   512  2012-08-14 13:30  kdecache-joe

Any leads on how to get rid of these messages will be appreciated.  A
great majority of programmes still run after the upgrade but they seem
to be slower.

Cheers ...

Mark