[kde-freebsd] kde4-baseapps

joaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Sat Aug 11 21:46:10 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 17:54, Jason E. Hale wrote:
> On Saturday, August 11, 2012 14:45:43 joaoBR wrote:
>>>
>>> KDE4 apps are made not to conflict with KDE3 versions because they are
>>> installed in KDE4_PREFIX.  It is not necessary to define CONFLICTS for
>>> these.
>> not exactly, don't forget about KDE4_PREFIX=
>>
>> if set to /usr/local things might get ugly
>>
> If the user wants to shoot himself or herself in the foot, that is up to them.
> There are a few users out there that may want to have both versions installed
> and setting CONFLICTS would prevent that.  Personally, I would like to see all
> of KDE3 just go away.

well ...

anybody might have his own opinion about that
also there are reasonable reasons to do one or the other

IMO since the value exists, it should be taken under consideration

also, if I am not wrong, Pcbsd is using kde4_prefix=/usr/local as default

lets compare two similar things

vulnerability check is sometimes annoying, a lot, but force the user
being conscious, even if this IMO is too much invasion of my privacy

conflicts does the same, but IMO much more important

one issue is my computer being harmed by a problem in the software code
another is my computer getting screwed up by the installation process

the first is a risk commonly known and nobody shoots the maintainer, but
the latter goes doubtless to the (-)credit of the maintainer :)

so at the end it would be a good thing to check for KDE4_PREFIX and
alert the user, then he decides what to do, kind of self-insurance :)

ok, in any case letting the user shoot himself in the foot is probably
not the best way

[]s

--

João Martins (JoaoBR)