[kde-freebsd] [CFT] KDE and KDE PIM 4.7.1

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 15 16:00:20 UTC 2011

The moment has finally arrived. We’re ready to share our work on the
latest KDE to all the brave testers who wish to give a hand. The ports
should be quite stable, and if we receive good feedback, I hope to be
able to commit it to /usr/ports before the release slush, and let
FreeBSD (and PC-BSD) 9.0 ship with KDE 4.7.1!

As promised, we’re building packages to make things easier for you
(only for amd64, I’m sorry), but they’re not ready yet. Come back in
few days for an update. Meanwhile, I’ll let you know how to update
using ports from our testing repository.

The story is always the same (you may want to take a snapshot of
/usr/ports before doing this):
# svn co http://area51.pcbsd.org/trunk/area51 /path/to/area51
# /path/to/area51/Tools/scripts/kdemerge -kmpq /usr/ports
This will also bring you updated Qt and PyQt.

If – and only if – you want to test also KDE PIM 4.7.1, run (at this
exact point):
# /path/to/area51/Tools/scripts/kdemerge -m /usr/ports

Now you just need to read UPDATING-area51 -
http://area51.pcbsd.org/trunk/area51/UPDATING-area51 - and proceed
with the update.

I’m not going to tell you about the new things you’re expected to find
(it will be material for another post, at commit time), but I’ll
invite you to pay attention to some points:
- UPDATING procedure is quite long, we’d like a confirmation that it works;
- we managed to strip 10-15 seconds from startup time -
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2011-September/011570.html
-, but issues might come out (quite unlikely);
- we made an attempt to enhance devices detection by Phonon -
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-freebsd/2011-September/011606.html
-, and we need it to be tested.

So, we’re waiting for your feedback, possibly as a reply to this thread.

http://blogs.freebsdish.org/avilla/2011/09/15/announcing-cft-for-kde-4-7-1-on-freebsd
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla