[kde-freebsd] mysql client build failure

Philip Boulton philipb at ssimicro.com
Tue Oct 4 23:21:11 UTC 2011

Thanks very much.

It's possible that there are some conflicts.  It was necessary at one point
for me to have gcc v 3.x and gcc v4.x available.  The solution was to rename
the 4.5 version of gcc as gcc45 and point to it when necessary.

Thanks for pointing out about the wrong-ftp location.  packages-8-stable
totally has it.

In any event, I was eventually able to build mysql5.5, but not using the
ports collection.  The procedure was:

Get CMake 2.8.5 from http://www.cmake.org, Unix/Linux Source version
Extract, make and install it.  This was uncomplicated.

Get mysql 5.5.16 source code from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/#downloads, generic Linux version
Extract make and install it.  This involved a lot of fiddling with options,
but was eventually successful.

The upgrade process itself was hairy, and it was a good thing I used
backups.

Best,

Philip B.