[kde-freebsd] Re: Complie errors involving math/eigen2

Schaich Alonso alonsoschaich at gmx.de
Thu May 12 11:56:27 CEST 2011

On Thursday, May 12, 2011 01:10:42 AM Greg Rivers wrote:
> I'm upgrading my netbook (FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE i386 as of May 2) from KDE3
> to KDE4.  Everything builds fine except for three packages:  misc/kdeedu4,
> x11-themes/kdeartwork4, and deskutils/kdeplasma-addons.
>
> All three failures seem to involve math/eigen2.  I've seen exactly the
> same failure of kdeedu4 on an unrelated amd64 system.  Does anyone know
> what might be wrong?  See build logs below.  Thanks!

The reason seems to me that a bunch of "new" patches for GCC were merged into
8-STABLE recently, to make use of a newer SSE revision which is supported by
all recent proccessors. The _mm_* types of C/C++ were originaly introduced tp
allow writing C code which could straightforwardly compiled into SSE code, but
it seems that support is still limited.

As KDE is supposed to be portable to non-x86, the xmmintrin.h header and all
coresponding types are probably not required to build KDE, so removing the
header availibility check from the CMakeList "might" fix the issue, though I
haven't tried that.

Alonso