[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.0

Olivier Smedts olivier at gid0.org
Mon Mar 7 16:20:31 CET 2011

2011/3/7 David Naylor <naylor.b.david at gmail.com>:
> On Sunday 06 March 2011 14:49:43 Alberto Villa wrote:
>> hello!
>>
>> i took some time to answer to you on this :)
>>
>> On Sunday 20 February 2011 06:34:10 David Naylor wrote:
>> >  * kdm lost my "kde" session.  I had to manually select "KDE Plasma
>> >
>> > Workspace"
>>
>> "your" kde session? you have manually created sessions? i'm not sure i
>> understood this point
>
> This is the term kdm used.  I assume that my KDE 4.5.4 KDE session did not
> have the same name as the KDE 4.6.0 one.  It was a one time thing (and may be
> specific to my setup).
>
>> > * KDE informed me that some of my sound devices were detached
>> > and wanted to know if it should forget about them.  Sound still works
>> > perfectly...
>>
>> it's probably due to gstreamer being the new default phonon backend
>> in place of xine. actually, we need to write some instructions on how to
>> make sound work correctly with it (it's material for freebsd.kde.org, just
>> need time to write it)
>> if you could share a screenshot of the sound cards detected by
>> phonon, it would help us in generalising the howto
>
> I would like to point out that my sound never stopped working.  Just a message
> about lost sound cards.
>
>> > * Strigi gets stuck on some PDF files (busy loop with
>> > nepomukservicestub)
>>
>> you mean while indexing? did you cleanup your strigi files from kde 4.5?
>> does it happen always with the same files?
>> my experience with nepomuk and strigi has been awesome after the
>> upgrade from 4.6.0 rc1 to 4.6.0
>
> Yes, always the same files (PDF).  I saw on the comments on dot.kde.org for
> the KDE 4.6.1 release that this was a known issue and has been fixed :-).
>
>> > * Okular still does not print out-of-the-box (doing
>> > `cd /usr/local/bin; ln -s lpr lpr.cups` works well)
>>
>> this was fixed a couple of weeks ago
>
> Yes I saw, my update was before then.
>
>> >  * The "KDE resources" kconfig module freezes when opened (a
>>
>> kdepim-4.6.0
>>
>> > problem, not present with old in-ports kdepim).
>> >
>> >  * I had a few problems with KMail2, which I reported upstream.  Old
>>
>> KMail
>>
>> > is working fine.
>>
>> eh... kdepim 4.6... :)
>
> Yes, I know...
>
>> > Other than two initial problems, strigi (which I do not use) and those
>> > relating to the upcoming kdepim everything is running better :-)
>>
>> cool!
>>
>> > Thank you for all the work.
>>
>> thank you for reporting back and for your work as well
>
> I have also been having crashes with plasma-desktop, related to kevent (or
> kevent was in traceback).  Alas I don't have debug information compiled in and
> thus do not have a proper traceback (or even the cause of the crash).
>
> I see KDE 4.6.1 is in area51, I'll start an update and see how that goes.

I've got a better experience with KDE SC 4.6.1 (than 4.6.0). No
akonadiserver crash dumps with nepomuk/strigi and all indexing/tagging
stuff disabled (it was the case since 4.5.X). Feels fast, quite light
(200MB active after opening my desktop session), responsive (also
related to the Xorg update). The only thing I had to do was to edit
"/usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d/kdm4" in order to remove the recently
introduced hal-waiting loop. I don't use hal...

Thanks for all the hard work !

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."