[kde-freebsd] Re: KDE 4.6.0

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 6 13:49:43 CET 2011

hello!

i took some time to answer to you on this :)

On Sunday 20 February 2011 06:34:10 David Naylor wrote:
>  * kdm lost my "kde" session.  I had to manually select "KDE Plasma
> Workspace"

"your" kde session? you have manually created sessions? i'm not sure i
understood this point

> * KDE informed me that some of my sound devices were detached
> and wanted to know if it should forget about them.  Sound still works
> perfectly...

it's probably due to gstreamer being the new default phonon backend
in place of xine. actually, we need to write some instructions on how to
make sound work correctly with it (it's material for freebsd.kde.org, just
need time to write it)
if you could share a screenshot of the sound cards detected by
phonon, it would help us in generalising the howto

> * Strigi gets stuck on some PDF files (busy loop with
> nepomukservicestub)

you mean while indexing? did you cleanup your strigi files from kde 4.5?
does it happen always with the same files?
my experience with nepomuk and strigi has been awesome after the
upgrade from 4.6.0 rc1 to 4.6.0

> * Okular still does not print out-of-the-box (doing
> `cd /usr/local/bin; ln -s lpr lpr.cups` works well)

this was fixed a couple of weeks ago

>  * The "KDE resources" kconfig module freezes when opened (a
kdepim-4.6.0
> problem, not present with old in-ports kdepim).
>  * I had a few problems with KMail2, which I reported upstream.  Old
KMail
> is working fine.

eh... kdepim 4.6... :)

> Other than two initial problems, strigi (which I do not use) and those
> relating to the upcoming kdepim everything is running better :-)

cool!

> Thank you for all the work.

thank you for reporting back and for your work as well
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be
disappointed.
		-- W. C. Bennett