[kde-freebsd] Re: [REVIEW] ksysguard (aka System Monitor) improvements (take 1)

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:18:51 CET 2011

On Tuesday 04 January 2011 18:04:25 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2011 13:20:06 David Naylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been working on improving the coverage of ksysguard's sensors.
> > There is still lots of work to be done but I would like feedback for what
> > has already been coded.
> >
> > I have added sensors for:
> >  - context switches
> >  - cpu load (per cpu)
> >  - cpu interrupt load (ports patch)
> >  - cpu temperature (as reported by coretemp and amdtemp)
> >  - interrupts (irqs 0-23, sortware and hardware)
> >  - memory (active, inactive and wired)
> >  - swap (swapped in and out)
> >  - syscalls
> >  - traps
> >  - uptime (ports patch)
> >
> > I have improved sensors:
> >  - DiskStatUsed (upper bound)
> >  - DiskStatFree (upper bound)
> >
> > Of the interrupts stray irqs and cpu timers are not reported (any
> > suggestions?).
> >
> > I would like to expose sysctl to ksysguardd (the relevant parts, i.e. no
> > strings).
>
> Whoa, what a huge patch :)

A fair amount of the size is the result of filenames changing (to keep with
the convention set by Linux).  The files (CPU->cpuinfo) that was renamed was
significantly changed, so one can consider it a different file (vs a
continuation of an existing file).

> Is your intention to do a CFT with this mail and, if things go well, submit
> this upstream later?

Yes, that is my plan.  I want to implement some more sensors (such as ACPI
thermal zones, and some stats reported by systat) and before I submit the
patch upstream.

One thing I am not sure about is integer rap-around (for example context
switches, in stat.c).  I made no attempt to handle it (hoping C just does the
right thing).

I am hoping that any problems will be pointed about (such as style) so that I
do not have to redo the patch when I finish with it and try get it submitted.