[kde-freebsd] [REVIEW] ksysguard (aka System Monitor) improvements (take 1)

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 16:20:06 CET 2011

Hi,

I have been working on improving the coverage of ksysguard's sensors.  There
is still lots of work to be done but I would like feedback for what has
already been coded.

I have added sensors for:
 - context switches
 - cpu load (per cpu)
 - cpu interrupt load (ports patch)
 - cpu temperature (as reported by coretemp and amdtemp)
 - interrupts (irqs 0-23, sortware and hardware)
 - memory (active, inactive and wired)
 - swap (swapped in and out)
 - syscalls
 - traps
 - uptime (ports patch)

I have improved sensors:
 - DiskStatUsed (upper bound)
 - DiskStatFree (upper bound)

Of the interrupts stray irqs and cpu timers are not reported (any
suggestions?).

I would like to expose sysctl to ksysguardd (the relevant parts, i.e. no
strings).

I would like to create a port for just ksysguardd.  This will allow remote
monitoring of computers without requiring the installation of kdebase4-
workspace (a very big port with many dependancies).  There is a Makefile in
the attached patch that does all the heavy lifting.

To test the patch, extract it and:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/kdebase4-workspace
# rm files/patch-ksysguard*
# cp /path/to/patch files/patch-ksysguard
# make all deinstall reinstall

Alternatively, if all you want is to install ksysguardd (the important part):
(repeat above steps expect for make, then)

# make -C `make -V WRKSRC`/ksysguard/ksysguardd install

(note, the deinstall target is uninstall)
however not all the sensors in ksysguard will have proper labels.

If there are any problems please let me know.

Regards,

David