[kde-freebsd] Re: [CFT] KDE SC 4.6.0 for FreeBSD.

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:33:31 CET 2011

Hannes <list_kde-freebsd at soulrebel.in-berlin.de> writes:

> Zitat von "Raphael Kubo da Costa" <kubito at gmail.com>:
>> Hmm, I hope when 4.6.x migrates to the ports tree kdepim remains at the
>> 4.4.x series until a stable release is made, otherwise we will have
>> problems.
>
> Hm, I think its really bad that kdepim hasn't had updates in a year,
> since it is core functionality of KDE SC and it does have serious
> issues that need to be adressed.

Actually, kdepim 4.4.x did not stop being developed when the rest of the
development for KDE SC 4.4.x ceased -- kdepim 4.4.10 was released just a
few days ago, for example (and is likely to be the last 4.4.x release).

The idea is/was to keep working and releasing 4.4.x while 4.5.x (which
later became 4.6.x) was still a WIP.

>> Can you compile at least the pim-related ports with WITH_DEBUG=1, check
>> if you need to enable some debug information with 'kdebugdialog' and
>> then run this again? You should get some more useful output.
>
> I will try that tomorrow. What is "pim-related" other than kdepim and
> kdepimlibs?

kdelibs and akonadi would be fine too.

>> After that, I recommend filing bug reports on bugs.kde.org -- kdepim 4.6
>> is still under development, and some time ago the developers said they
>> needed more migration reports.
>
> I will do that next, although in general my experience when reporting
> bugs upstream is that everyone says they are FreeBSD-related and
> therefore noone volunteers to fix them :S

It's usually a problem on both sides -- application maintainers should
not automatically reject bug reports based on the operating system, OTOH
a lot of FreeBSD-related bug reports have useless backtraces because
people don't compile with WITH_DEBUG=1.

I try to help whenever I can. You can CC me on the bug report if you
want, but the kdepim guys are nice folks and probably won't discard your
report anyway :)