[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.7 plans

Alberto Villa avilla at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 11 20:00:08 UTC 2011

On Thursday 11 August 2011 20:49:13 Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> This is just me being curious... it is *not* a complaint. I value the hard
> work you people put into keeping KDE available on FreeBSD. I'm just
> wondering what the plans are for 4.7. Will it be committed to the ports
> tree or are we going to wait for 4.7.1 (which I believe is due later this
> month.)

i was about to blog about this (and i will), but here's what we're going to
do and why

kde 4.7 was shipped with split tarballs (i.e., we passed from ~30 to ~70),
which means new ports, dependencies reorganized, and so on. since the
split is not considered stable (i.e., it may change in the future), and
since there was the possibility to have old-style tarballs, we didn't work
on beta/rcs waiting for them, but they didn't came. now we're working
hard to put it in shape (as you can see by the high number of commits),
and i believe it won't require more than a week to be complete,
nonetheless we'll go with a test period, which means that we'll commit
4.7.1 or 4.7.2 (it also depends on when the ports tree will be freezed due
to freebsd 9.0 being released)

cheers
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla

About all some men accomplish in life is to send a son to Harvard.