[kde-freebsd] Re: start kde fails after reboot

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Mon Apr 18 15:52:50 CEST 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:45:34 +0700, Gua Chung Lim wrote:

> Hi,
>

>>> Is it related to hald or dbus? I don't know what they are.
>> You
can try disabling those but interesting things will happen. Granted, you
don't have anything working so it can't get any worse except for a panic
or freeze and disabling those won't cause that. Give it a try.

tried disabling each individual one.
> Disabling hald causes my mouse to
die.
> Disabling dbus does not affect anything, or at least I didn't see
the effect.
> In all cases, startx still does not work.
>
>> How about
`kdeinit4 --no-forok --no-kded'? Something right in the beginning of
KDE's startup process is crashing, so it'd be nice to be able to run gdb
on the first misbehaving application we see.

> gua at bsdhost:~%
kdeinit4 --no-fork --no-kded
> Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)

> and also the same to mine
>
> gua at bsdhost:~% konsole

konsole(1562)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to
guard the shared cache. This *should* be essentially impossible. :(

konsole(1562)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this
system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.
> konsole: Fatal IO error:
client killed
> konsole(1562) Konsole::SessionManager::~SessionManager:
Konsole SessionManager destroyed with sessions still alive

> I have
also tried rm -rf .kde .local to start it over from scratch.
> It still
does not work.

> I have also tried FBSD8.1R from DVD on my current
machine.
> I encountered the same problem.
> But my previous machine had
no problems with 7.1R (fresh from CD), 7.2R (cvsup)
> and 8.0R (csup).
>

> This may be hardware-specific issue, I think.
> Tomorrow I shall try
7.4R with my current machine.
> If it's okay, I shall stay with
RELENG_7_X.
> Any comments are still welcome.
>
> Thank you very much
to you all.

I'm just about out of ideas. Are you using NVIDIA's driver?
What happens when you kldunload nvidia and try it after rebooting?

Rusty Nejdl