[kde-freebsd] start kde fails after reboot

Gua Chung Lim gua.chunglim at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 11:44:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

I found a problem very hard to explain and I can't fix.

I have FreeBSD-8.2R installed from DVD.
I installed KDE4 from DVD.
startx failed and only a small square box appeared on a black GUI screen.
This box moves corresponding to the mouse. And nothing else on the screen.
I do not suspect xorg because twm and xterm windows work from the bare startx.

Then I tried installing the same version of KDE4 from ports WITHOUT csup/cvsup.
I can start KDE4 with the nice graphic than ever.
But once after I logout and immediately reboot, I can no longer startx.
After reboot, I have to ``make deinstall'' everything and ``make install''
again. So that I can startx again. This persisted 2-3 times.

Then I tried csup and installing KDE-4.6.2 from ports. Thing goes well.
But the same problem persist. I can always start KDE-4.6.2, until next reboot.
I have to repeat ``make deinstall'' and ``make install'' all the time.
This problem persists 4-5 times for KDE-4.6.2.

So I decided to install KDE-3.5.10 (co-exist with KDE4 with different .xinitrc).
Right after installation completed, startx works well.
It brought to me the familiarity of KDE3.
But the same problem occurs again right after reboot.

Anyone who has clues, please point me out.

Thank you.

--
Gua Chung Lim