[kde-freebsd] Kontact issues after upgrade

Joe Kraft jvk-list at thekrafts.org
Sun Sep 5 21:19:01 CEST 2010

Alberto Villa wrote:

> On Sunday 05 September 2010 02:33:40 Joe Kraft wrote:
>> Yup, did that with kontact both times and with kmail when it quit
> working.
>
> try moving away also .kde4/share/config/email*

Thanks, that was the trick to get my mail working again.  (and deleting the
8000 bogus messages that had been copied to my imap server.)

Pressing my luck I tried the same tactic with kontact, but still no luck.
It locks up on the tip of the day window.  If I run it from the command line
this is what I get.

[jvk at slug /usr/home/jvk]$ kontact
kontact(6237) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve system encoding,
defaulting to ISO 8859-1.
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
kontact(6237)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kontact(6237)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kontact(6237)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-kmail.rc"
kontact(6237)/kio (KDirWatch) KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry: doesn't know
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kabc"
kontact(6237)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kontact(6237)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-calendar.rc"
kontact(6237)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-todo.rc"
<unknown program name>(6290)/ main: Unknown resource type:  "notes"
kontact(6237)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/local-.rc"
kontact(6237)/kdeui (kdelibs): No such XML file
"/usr/home/jvk/.kde4/share/apps/kontact/default-.rc"
[jvk at slug /usr/home/jvk]$ load glyph failed err=6 face=0x30dcec00, glyph=640
QFontEngine: Glyph neither outline nor bitmap format=0
load glyph failed err=6 face=0x30dcec00, glyph=640
QFontEngine: Glyph neither outline nor bitmap format=0
load glyph failed err=6 face=0x30dcec00, glyph=640
QFontEngine: Glyph neither outline nor bitmap format=0
load glyph failed err=6 face=0x30dcec00, glyph=640
QFontEngine: Glyph neither outline nor bitmap format=0

At this point it shows the summary screen, which appears to be working.  It
also shows the tip of the day on top of that, but completely unresponsive.
If you click the X to end the application it waits the 20 sec and KDE
complains that Kontact is not responding.

This is the same response I was getting from KDE4.3 when I was running it
with FreeBSD 7.3.

Is this just something that's messed up and won't work, or do I still have
something messed up myself?

Joe.