[kde-freebsd] Re: Desktop effects suspended -- KDE4-4.5.1

Mike Barnard mike.barnardq at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:15:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito at gmail.com>wrote:

> At Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:02:46 +0300,
> Mike Barnard wrote:
> > I am running FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE built as of Oct  6 17:34:53 EAT 2010.
> Same
> > day as when I did a portsnap and installed the packages needed to run
> KDE.
> >
> > I am experiencing frequent problems with kde4. It gets excruciatingly
> slow
> > and desktop effects keep going down.
> >
> > I tailed .xsession-errors and tried to do what I was doing when it went
> down
> > and got this:
> >
> > ---------------------------
> > > tail -f /usr/home/mike/.xsession-errors
>
> Actually, you should look for some KWin output for some information on
> what is going on with desktop effects. You can also try to configure
> it via System Settings and try to get some more info.
>
> And what graphics card and driver are you using? Does it help if you
> turn desktop effects off?

Sorry for the silence, I had a pressing matter to handle at work :-)...

I have tested with compositing disabled and there is some improvements.
Although it does slow down after leaving it idle for a while. I have noticed
that everything KDE goes to sleep. Kmail is slow on typing an email when all
this happens, Kaddressbook takes its sweet time.

I'll try disable all fancy features and give it a go.

I use a Dell Optiplex 780. It has 4GB RAM, Graphics card is Intel Q45 SVGA
controller.

--
Mike

Of course, you might discount this possibility, but remember that one in
a million chances happen 99% of the time.