[kde-freebsd] Re: 4.5.2 behaviour

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Mon Oct 18 16:07:27 CEST 2010

On October 18, 2010 06:15:36 am Jason E. Hale wrote:
> On Sunday, October 17, 2010 22:18:39 Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Noticed two odd things with 4.5.2
> >
> > 1) Dolphin freezes up on me. A lot. After a minute or so it unfreezes.
>
> I have noticed this as well.  Dolphin will freeze almost any time I try to
> open a file by double-clicking on it.  Then it will take a few seconds to
> actually open the file.  It also will crash within a matter of minutes of
> even slight use.  I think it has something to do with the file polling,
> but I haven't had time to investigate.  It wasn't very stable in KDE 4.5.1
> either.
>
> > 2) kwin goes nuts when I play video of any kind. It basically takes over
> > one of my CPU cores completely.
>
> I haven't seen this, but the Xorg process will eat up CPU if the kmix
> window is open.  It is fine if kmix is just in the system tray.  I haven't
> been able to figure that one out, but that started with KDE 4.5.1.
>
> KDE 4.5.2 / FreeBSD 8.1 i386 / nvidia driver
>
> - Jason

I have an identical setup to you. The behavior I see (kwin's %CPU rising until
it completely takes over a core when playing video) is linked to compositing.
If I turn off compositing with ALT-SHIFT-F12 the kwin CPU utilization drops
back down to normal.

I think I've had Dolphin crash on me a few times too. I'll try to get a decent
backtrace next time it happens.

Cheers,
DMK