[kde-freebsd] Re: Dragon Player won't play DVD, but VLC does

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 02:19:21 CET 2010

On Thursday 18 November 2010 20:59:11 Rusty Nejdl wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:28:57 -0500, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> > I'm
>
> on FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE using 4.5.3. When I open DragonPlayer there is a
>
> > "Play Disc" button. I've successfully used that to play a DVD.
>
> (Pirates of the
>
> > Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.)
>
> Haven't checked to see if DragonPlayer comes up as an option when I
> insert the
>
> > DVD yet.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > DMK
>
> I hate to say it, but I was
> able to reproduce this. I had to comment out the cd0 line in /etc/fstab
> to have hald handle automounting the dvd. Once I did, I was able to use
> the device feature in KDE to launch one of 4 actions. Launching in
> dragon player opened it up but didn't do anything. I clicked Play Disc a
> few times and it just sat there. I chose the open in Kaffeine option and
> the DVD opened right up (Ghostwriter). Dragon simply shows "No media
> loaded" in the bottom left. Running from console produces no interesting
> debug lines. I can get dragon player to play other files on the
> harddrive without issue.

What Phonon backend are you guys using?

I've just been able to play a DVD here by clicking on the "Play Disc" button
(I'm not running KDE from ports, though).

The Xine backend shows me the main menu and everything goes on smoothly, while
the GStreamer backend seeks directly to the first track and does not allow me
to seek.