[kde-freebsd] Re: qt4-webkit: phonon backend + enable JIT

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 4 20:14:33 CET 2010

hey! sorry for being so late!

let's start saying that i've committed your patch to area51

2010/5/23 Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org>:
> I've been experimenting with the javascript JIT compiler in
> www/qt4-webkit today using Arora and it seems to work rather well, so
> here's a patch to enable it. On the SunSpider test Arora is more than
> twice as fast as Konqueror. With JIT compilation enabled it is more
> than 6x faster and 1.7x faster than Firefox 3.6.3.

i am not able to build/install arora at the moment, but with rekonq or
konqueror+kwebkitpart i don't see any speedup... can you test the
qt4-webkit in area51 please?

> While playing with this port I also noticed it has a dependency on
> phonon-gst. It isn't needed. However, the QT configure script disables
> phonon support altogether if it can't find gstreamer unless you add
> -no-phonon-backend to CONFIGURE_ARGS.

as well as for other ports, but at least one backend is required for
phonon to work, and given that not every qt user installs kde with
xine/vlc backend, and that they expect phonon to work without the need
to install additional ports (phonon-gstreamer), i think it's easier to
install it by default
but this is just my opinion... if you or anyone else has a better
solution, please share it :)

> The next change in the patch removes -I/usr/local/include from CFLAGS
> and CXXFLAGS in the WebCore Makefile. This path is added by configure
> when it runs 'pkg-config --cflags fontconfig --cflags freetype2'. The
> problem is that the JIT compiler has an internal header named pcre.h
> which conflicts with a header file from the devel/pcre port. I'm not
> sure if this is the best solution.

that's an acceptable solution, because INCPATH includes
${LOCALBASE}/include as well

> I think that if CXXFLAGS can contain
> system include paths it would be better if qmake passed CXXFLAGS after
> INCPATH in this Makefile target (and some other targets):

i agree, but your proposed solution works well with non-weird
configurations, so it's ok for me

> The last change in the patch adds a new patch under files/. It enables
> JIT compilation like Linux. Note that it's i386 only.

it's amd64 too now \o/

> Please check it out, and let me know what you think.

please test the updated qt4-webkit, and let me know if it works well for you
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla