[kde-freebsd] libassuan

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed May 19 13:57:48 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 06:34:37 am Doug Barton wrote:
> I'm writing this message to inquire about updating ports that depend on
> libassuan. It's currently at version 1.0.5, and the latest gnupg
> (2.0.15) requires libassuan 2.0.0. There is an open PR that discusses
> this issue, where Jason mentions that updating libassuan would be
> problematic for the KDE stuff:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/144186

This is because the FindAssuan -- and other code -- in KDE up to 4.4.3 only
knows about libassuan 1. The folks at Novell have developed a patch to make it
work with libassuan 2. I'm going to be testing it on Solaris; I've forgotten
all I ever knew about FreeBSD ports by now, but the same stuff will apply (and
end up upstream for 4.5).

> The ports that currently depend on libassuan (other than gnupg) are the
> following:
> Port:	kdepim-4.4.3
> Port:	dirmngr-1.0.3
> Port:	gpa-0.9.0_3
>
> I'm writing to you because you are the maintainer of one of those ports.
>
> So that's the background, now the question. Are any of those 3 ports any
> closer to having the ability to use libassuan 2.x? The lack of backwards
> compatibility in gnupg 2.0.15 is annoying, but it's a fact of life, so
> we need to find a solution that's going to allow us to update the
> relevant bits.

Contact Will Stephenson for the Novell patches, or I can bung them on the
FreeBSD list once I've tried them elsewhere.

[ade]