[kde-freebsd] libassuan

Jason E. Hale bsdkaffee at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:20:49 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 00:34:37 Doug Barton wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm writing this message to inquire about updating ports that depend on
> libassuan. It's currently at version 1.0.5, and the latest gnupg
> (2.0.15) requires libassuan 2.0.0. There is an open PR that discusses
> this issue, where Jason mentions that updating libassuan would be
> problematic for the KDE stuff:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/144186
>
> The ports that currently depend on libassuan (other than gnupg) are the
> following:
> Port:	kdepim-4.4.3
> Port:	dirmngr-1.0.3
> Port:	gpa-0.9.0_3
>
> I'm writing to you because you are the maintainer of one of those ports.
>
> So that's the background, now the question. Are any of those 3 ports any
> closer to having the ability to use libassuan 2.x? The lack of backwards
> compatibility in gnupg 2.0.15 is annoying, but it's a fact of life, so
> we need to find a solution that's going to allow us to update the
> relevant bits.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Doug

This transition is a little annoying, but I still think it will be much less
of a hassle to do it all together so there aren't any compatibility issues.
AFAIK, nothing has really changed from what I wrote about in the PR.

I maintain gpa and I could use what is in the CVS for it to make it compatible
with libassuan 2.x.  They have not made an official release that works with
libassuan 2.x.

There is a release candidate for dirmngr-1.1.0 which works with libassuan 2.x.
That RC is from March 9, so there hasn't been much movement on that.
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2010-March/025565.html

Support for libassuan 2.x is in the KDE SVN and should be included in KDE 4.5
which is due out in August.

- Jason