[kde-freebsd] QFilesSystemWatcher instead of polling/FAM

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 29 14:41:00 CEST 2010

2010/6/25 Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org>:
> I've attached a patch that makes KDE use QFileSystemWatcher on FreeBSD
> which uses kqueue instead of stat. I've been using it for the past few
> days and it seems to work rather well.

the qt page on this has a warning:

The act of monitoring files and directories for modifications consumes
system resources. This implies there is a limit to the number of files
and directories your process can monitor simultaneously. On Mac OS X
10.4 and all BSD variants, for example, an open file descriptor is
required for each monitored file. Some system limits the number of
open file descriptors to 256 by default. This means that addPath() and
addPaths() will fail if your process tries to add more than 256 files
or directories to the file system monitor. Also note that your process
may have other file descriptors open in addition to the ones for files
being monitored, and these other open descriptors also count in the
total.

when it fails, on mac os it falls back to another backend, but it
doesn't say anything about bsd... have you considered this problem?
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla