[kde-freebsd] QFilesSystemWatcher instead of polling/FAM

Kris Moore kris at pcbsd.org
Fri Jun 25 19:41:11 CEST 2010

On 06/25/2010 12:37, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KDE currently uses polling to detect file and directory changes on
> FreeBSD, which can use up cpu time (and laptop battery power). The
> kded4 process seems to make heavy use of this and currently
> continuously consumes about 5% of my cpu and often causes it to be
> throttled up by powerd.
>
> I've attached a patch that makes KDE use QFileSystemWatcher on FreeBSD
> which uses kqueue instead of stat. I've been using it for the past few
> days and it seems to work rather well.
>
> One thing I'm not sure about is whether it works with NFS, so it could
> use some more testing. If you'd like to test it, replace
> /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs4/files/patch-kio-kio-kdirwatch.cpp with the
> attached patch and reinstall kdelibs.

Just built with this patch here. It does greatly improve my kdeinit4
processes, went from a constant 8-10% to 0-1%.

However, it does mess up NFS. When browsing my NFS mounts it doesn't
show any directory/file changes until I manually refresh the view. Is
this something fixable?

--
Kris Moore
PC-BSD Software