[kde-freebsd] Cannot print *.pdf in Okular

Bengt Ahlgren bengta at sics.se
Mon Jun 7 15:52:52 CEST 2010

Arkadyi Dudevitch <dudevitch at englerllc.com> writes:

> I have problem with print from okular. I'm using FreeBSD 8.0-p3 + KDE 4.4.4.
> I can print test page. Print from OpenOffice - ok. But I cannot print
> files(pdf, etc) in Okular.
> Printer - network Laser Jet 1300(lpd://192.168.0.16/lp)
>
> In make.conf:
> WITH_CUPS=YES
> CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=YES
> WITHOUT_LPR=YES
>
> Print under KDE3 works without problem.

I also had problems printing with okular, but with your setup you
should not run into the same problem I had.

I'll describe my problem and solution anyway.  I couldn't print from
okular using 7.3-REL and KDE 4.3.5.  It seems like qt4 execs the lpr
program to do the actual printing!  You therefore need to have the
CUPS lpr (/usr/local/bin/lpr) before the legacy lpr (/usr/bin/lpr) in
your path for printing to work.  I just moved /usr/bin/lpr aside, and
linked /usr/local/bin/lpr to /usr/bin.

(Wouldn't it be better for qt4 to use libcups instead???)

Bengt