[kde-freebsd] problems with Policykit in KDE4.3 on Freebsd 8 amd64

Alberto Villa avilla at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 1 16:01:52 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Mark Moellering <mark at msen.com> wrote:
> Apologies for the cross posting.
> I recently did a fresh install of Freebsd 8 , amd64.
> I then added Xorg and KDE (4.3) from the sysinstall packages system.
>
> I read about policykit, which seems really cool.  I set-up PolicyKit in
> the KDE systems settings and things worked great (adding USB drives),
> until I rebooted.
> Now it doesn't really work.  It seems to me that even though KDE saved
> my settings, it isn't initializing something at boot or login.
> Does anyone know what needs to be done?  Do I need to use kdm?  Add a
> line to rc.conf?  I am pretty good at Freebsd but getting KDE4
> subsystems working is still a little mysterious.

hello!
a fix for (console|policy)kit related issues was committed two weeks
ago.  you need to upgrade your kde, and yes, you need to use kdm or
gdm to use policykit (there is a howto on http://wiki.freebsd.org/KDE4
- at least i guess... the wiki doesn't work at the moment)
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~avilla