[kde-freebsd] kaffeine-1.0 and webcamd based DVB-T?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 24 23:11:29 CEST 2010

On 8/24/10 4:21 PM, Juergen Lock wrote:

>>> Actually, I'd prefer if there was a file or socket from which I could
>>> read to get this data.  hps, is this doable?  That is, could I have a
>>> file or socket that would allow me to map a USB bus/addr to a video (or
>>> dvb) device ID?
>>
>> I think something like this has been discussed before, that perhaps webcamd,
>> when it is ready updates hald, if present in the system.
>>
>> Could you provide me the snprintf() I need and where to send it?
>
> Ok I just got the new kaffeine working for direct dvb (i.e. without
> xvdr://) with both the dvb-s2 and dvb-t tuners by invoking
> hal-device --add for each dvb device node like below.  (well,
> ignoring audio issues on dvb-s2 h264 channels but those can't have
> anything to do with hal...)
>
>  So it seems you can take the udi name that hal uses for the device
> (or is that always 'usb_device_<id>_<id>_noserial'?), add a string
> to it like '_dvb_<incremented>', use that as arg to 'hal-device --add',
> and then give that process mostly static info like mine on stdin
> where only dvb.device (the device node) and info.parent (the original
> udi name) vary:  (Linux also adds linux.device_file, linux.hotplug_type,
> linux.subsystem, and linux.sysfs_path as you can see in my Linux
> lshal output earlier in this thread,

The USB Devices are named as usb_device_vendorID_product_ID_serialNo
(noserial if there is no ASCII serial number).

The parent may be important, so the output of lshal may need to be
properly known, but you could also just set it to the dummy
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer value (i.e. its parent is the root
of the tree).

If this works for both dvb and v4l, we could remove the patches in hal,
and just have webcamd do our dirty work.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome