[kde-freebsd] QFilesSystemWatcher instead of polling/FAM

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 04:34:55 CEST 2010

Nejdl wrote:
> [...]
I've been using the patch (the July 8 version), and it works well
the most part; the only problem is that plasma-desktop runs up
100% CPU usage every once in a while (and becomes unresponsive),
that I've got to kill and restart.

doesn't seem to be any particular error
to be triggered by any specific action.
specific for debugging purposes, or
know.

> >> It turns out that Qt uses a continue statement
in a do-while loop
> >> thereby creating an infinite loop. The attached
patch should solve it.
> >> You have to put it in devel/qt4-corelib/files/
and rebuild that port.

> >> I'm still trying to fix some more issues,
but this should already
> >> help a lot, so please give it a try.

Still crashes with this patch and your latest patch for kdelibs:
> Here's an
updated patch for devel/qt4-corelib. It turns out that kded4
> monitors a
lot of files (2000+ in my case). That means the process
> (such as other
parts of Qt) can no longer use select(2) on descriptors
> opened after those
2000+ because that's limited to 1024 (FD_SETSIZE).
> Qt doesn't do a bounds
check when it tries to use such a descriptor
> with select and essentially a
buffer overflow occurs that can cause
> a crash later on.
>
> This patch
includes a number of other changes. Below are the commit
> logs for those
interested.

> I'm also still working on a more extensive patch for
kdirwatch.

> QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Use EV_CLEAR instead
of EV_ONESHOT.

>   Using EV_ONESHOT and re-enabling the kevent after
emitting the signal
>   allows for a window in which file system changes can
go undetected. By
>   using EV_CLEAR instead the kevent can stay enabled.
>

> QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Deleting kevent is handled by close().
>

> QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Fix infinite loop cases.
>
>   While the
application thread is removing the watch on a path, it is
>   still possible
for the worker thread to process events for that path on
>   another CPU. In
the case where the worker thread detects that the event
>   is no longer
valid, there's a continue statement inside a do-while loop
>   causing an
infinite loop, because the next event is never retrieved and
>   the same
event is found invalid over and over.

>   The do-while loop can simply be
removed. This has the added benefit that
>   the lock is released between
processing events, shortening the critical
>   section and allowing the
application thread to add and remove watches
>   more easily.

QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Handle kevent(2) returning EINTR.

>   The
worker thread exits whenever the kevent call returns an error, but
>   in
the case of EINTR (interrupted by signal) it should just call kevent

again. Otherwise for instance, attaching a debugger to the process

causes the worker thread to exit because of the SIGSTOP it receives.

QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Minor tweaks to locking.

>   - Calls to
write(2) potentially block, so make sure the application
> thread unlocks
the mutex before it writes to the pipe between itself and
> the worker
thread, so the latter can continue to process events and
> eventually
unblock the write call (if needed) by emptying the pipe.

>   - In the
worker thread there's no need to lock the mutex when processing
> a pipe
event. Generally the worker thread should hamper the application
> thread as
little as possible, so only lock the mutex where needed.

QKqueueFileSystemWatcherEngine: Use higher file descriptors.

>   A file
descriptor is used for every path to be monitored, but descriptors
>   below
FD_SETSIZE (typically 1024) are precious, for use with select(2).
> To allow
the application (and other parts of Qt) to use select(2), try to
> duplicate
the descriptor returned by open(2) above FD_SETSIZE and close(2)
> the
original. However, only do so when the descriptor table is already
> fairly
large (FD_SETSIZE / 2). This keeps the descriptor table small for

applications that use only a few descriptors.

>   While here, also set
the close-on-exec flag on the (new) descriptor.

Hey Tijl,

Are you planning
on sending these patches upstream?