[kde-freebsd] [Q] difficulties installing KDE4 on 8.0 RC1 amd64

Troels Kofoed Jacobsen tkjacobsen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 18:53:01 CEST 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 17:53:58 V S P wrote:
> Hello,
> I have installed a fresh minimum distro of Freebsd 8.0 RC1 on amd64
> (from a dvd iso).
>
> Then I installed portupgrade package
>
> and did
>
> portinstall kde4
>

> that took two days (because it kept asking me in the dialogs for
> compilation options on some packages -- and therefore it was not
> an 'unattended' install).
>

> I got the whole thing compiled and installed (completely).
>
> The problem is that I want to use the freebsd to establish VPN
> connection
> to my work (via pptd)
> I read that KDE's network subsystem allows to establish such thing.
>

> However when I go to KDE 4 network it says that zeroconf
> (mdnsd) server is not running.  I built and installed mdnsd using
> portinstall mdnsd.
> That however did not appear to do anything.  In otherwords,
> mdsnd still is not running at a startup (and I do not know how to make
> it run at startup (I thought the installation process would do that))
>
> When i just type mdnsd from the command line the process starts (because
> I can see it with pgrep) but the network folders are still empty.
>

> Furhtermore there is a place in the KDE settings to see the network,
> and I when I click there it says your OS is not supported (and it gives
> me a list of OSes where the latest one is FreeBSD 6).
>

> I gave up sofar (I started friday early evening, and now sunday morning
> I have to do login to work so I switched to my win partition).
>
> I would like to ask if I am going in a generally correct direction, or
> may
> be using portinstall was wrong (the FreeBSD main site did not have kde
> 4.3 -- but the ports are at 4.3 -- also using the freebsd sysinstall
> ports method always fails because perl version in there is earlier than
> the one from the ports tree (which is what I have)).
>

> If I am going in the right direction why things like 'paths' are not
> added to the loging prompt, services are not started, kdm is not
> insalled, kde networks apps are not setup?  is there another may be
> sub-port that fixes all that?
>
> thank you in advance for any help

Hi

I'm pretty sure portinstall has an option to do the configuration before
starting the compilation (probably -C or -c or something) (I know portmaster
does this automatically). Otherwise you can always go to /usr/ports/x11/kde4
and do make config-recursive! see ports(7) for more info on that one.

Regarding vpn: I have a fully working pptp with all the MS encryption jazz up
and running with net/mpd5. I have posted the notes on my blog:
http://tkjacobsen.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/pptp-vpn-from-freebsd/
networkmanager is not (yet) ported to kde, so i guess manual configuration is
the only option. (You can also try net/pptpclient)

Kdm is installed with kdebase-workspace. Have you added it in /etc/ttys:
ttyv8   "/usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm -nodaemon"     xterm   on secure

the kde path is not added to my path either but you can easily put it in
.cshrc or in .profile. I have in .cshrc
setenv PATH /usr/local/kde4/bin:$PATH

I hope this helps

best regards