[kde-freebsd] Failed upgrade

Daniel Stolpe stolpe at bombadil.se
Tue Sep 22 08:26:39 CEST 2009

I Have upgraded from KDE 4.2 to 4.3 on other machines before but this time
something must have gone really wrong.

Instead of just running a "portupgrade -ra" and fixing problems afterwards
I tried reading the UPDATING and do what it said. I rather surprisingly
managed to build all kde 4.3 ports but then kde did not want to start so I
rebuilt the rest of the ports and then Xorg with all dependencies (since I
thought X was broken as well) and then kde4 with all dependencies again.

kde4-4.3.1
kde4-icons-oxygen-4.3.1
kdeaccessibility-4.3.1
kdeadmin-4.3.1
kdeartwork-4.3.1
kdebase-4.3.1
kdebase-runtime-4.3.1
kdebase-workspace-4.3.1
kdeedu-4.3.1
kdegames-4.3.1
kdegraphics-4.3.1
kdelibs-4.3.1_1
kdelibs-experimental-4.3.1
kdemultimedia-4.3.1_1
kdenetwork-4.3.1
kdepim-4.3.1_1
kdepim-runtime-4.3.1
kdepimlibs-4.3.1
kdeplasma-addons-4.3.1
kdesdk-4.3.1
kdetoys-4.3.1
kdeutils-4.3.1
kdewebdev-4.3.1

Always the same thing: kdm comes up. Log in. Then at the splash the first
icon shows (looking like a hard disk?) and then kbuildsycoca4 eats all CPU
for a while and then the session dies and finally I come back to the kdm
login screen.

KDE3 does not work either. (But I can run X with twm/fvwm etc, even from
the KDM login so X seems to work).

I figure out some part of the whole is broken but how do I find and repair
it?

Maybye some OpenGL?

Thanks for any help!

Daniel Stolpe           	stolpe at bombadil.se