[kde-freebsd] k3b freebsd contact

Jason E. Hale bsdkaffee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 17:06:06 CEST 2009

On Saturday 17 October 2009 08:50:32 Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 15/10/2009 00:48 Jason E. Hale said the following:
> > I'm attaching a shar containing what I have done so far for the k3b-kde4
> > port. I included Andriy's fix for cdrecord not being found as well.  I
> > came up with the same patch for the cd device not being found, but it
> > seems like that may not be the right way to go according to Heiner.  I am
> > not much of a programmer, so I don't know.  I just thought I would give
> > this port a go since I didn't hear anything about it until a few days
> > ago.  I actually started doing this a while back but lost interest since
> > K3B had terrible trouble with QT 4.4.  Anyways, the port should at least
> > build, run, and install and deinstall cleanly.  I have only tried this
> > with FreeBSD 7.2 i386 though.  It should at least provide a good starting
> > point.
>
> Jason,
>
> several mostly stylistic notes:
> 1. Makefile header should be reset, all fields (Whom, Date, etc), because
>  this is going to be a new port. CVS version string should be reset to
>  $FreeBSD:$

I put this in shar form so it would be easier for people to test out.  It
really should be repocopied from the KDE3 version and updated from there, so
the header should stay the same.

>  2. I think that there should be a run dependency on cdrecord,
>  because k3b insists so strongly on having it. (Perhaps with alternative
>  choice of cdrecord-devel and cdrkit).

I think it would be a good idea to try adding support for cdrkit.  Adding
support for cdrtools-devel might be a little more difficult since the
USE_CDRTOOLS macro only supports plain cdrtools and cdrtools-cjk.  Personally,
I feel that if a user wants a -devel version of something they should handle
that on their own (e.g. a port requiring MySQL is going to pull in the default
version unless the user already installed the version they want).

> BTW, it's interesting situation, this page says that cdrecord is a
>  mandatory dependency and cdrdao is an option one:
> http://k3b.plainblack.com/requirements
> But our port requires cdrdao and not mentions cdrecord at all :)

The OPTIONS probably need a little work.  I suppose cdrdao could be made
optional.  Taglib theoretically could be made optional, but since
kdemultimedia4 is a requirement and it requires taglib, there is no point in
disabling it.  Musicbrainz support is in the same category, but there is still
an option for it.  Otherwise, I tried to be sensible with the defaults (e.g.
enable anything that kdemultimedia4 would have already installed anyways).

> 3. upstream now seems to be at version k3b-1.68.0alpha3 and
>  k3b-1.66.0alpha2 is not available
>
> The port looks great! Thank you!

I will try to post a new version soon, but I work 14+ hours a day so it might
be not be until Wednesday or Thursday.  In the meantime, it looks like
k3b-1.66.0alpha2.tar.bz2 is still on Sourceforge, though:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/k3b/files/k3b/1.66.0alpha2/k3b-1.66.0alpha2.tar.bz2/download
In the port Makefile, change:
MASTER_SITES= SF
to:
MASTER_SITES= SF/${PORTNAME}/${PORTNAME}/${DISTVERSION}
and it should fetch.

Other thoughts:  Since KDE4 is only for FreeBSD 7+ the FreeBSD 5.x and 6.x
pkg-message can be dropped.  pkg-descr and pkg-message-7 probably need
touching up too (they are from the KDE3 version).

Thanks for the feedback!

- Jason