[kde-freebsd] k3b freebsd contact

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Fri Oct 16 14:04:55 CEST 2009

on 15/10/2009 13:15 Andriy Gapon said the following:

> There is the following note in that manual page:
>      cam_open_device() is rather simple
>      to use, but it is not really suitable for general use because its behav‐
>      ior is not necessarily deterministic.  Programmers writing new applica‐
>      tions should make the extra effort to use one of the other open routines
>      documented below.
> But I am not sure now valid it is. Because I can't imagine that it is principally
> impossible to put the same code into libcam that a programmer  would put in his
> code. I.e. I don't think that I could do cdX to passX any smarter than
> cam_open_device does it. And if I could, then I'd rather put that code into
> cam_open_device anyway, so that everyone could benefit from it.

BTW, I talked to Scott Long about this note and he said that it is about the case
when the path provided is not a full path, i.e. just "cd0".
And it comes from pre-devfs MAKEDEV days, when one could have /dev/cd0 and
/mydev/cd0 devices and they would refer to different physical devices.
Nowadays, it should be entirely safe to use cam_open_device().

--
Andriy Gapon