[kde-freebsd] Odd bug with k3b-1.0.5 and FreeBSD 8

Matt Dawson matt at chronos.org.uk
Sat Nov 21 15:57:47 CET 2009

Hi all,
	k3b seems to be exposing an odd bug in lockd on FreeBSD 8 (r199599 svn
upped yesterday) which, I think, is a client side issue.

The situation:
FreeBSD 8.0 r199599 amd64;
k3b_1.0.5_2 package built on a tinderbox;
KDE4 4.3.1 DE;
NFS mounted /home.

When starting k3b on a 7.2 client with a 7.2 server, everything goes fine.
Update the client to 8.0 and the server spits out NLM: can't contact remote
lockd, status 5 messages (from memory, actual message may be different and
I don't want to lock my server up again) and locks up the LAN interface by
depleting mbufs. Switch the server to 8.0 and you still get the messages,
but lockd can be restarted and it doesn't saturate the LAN interface to the
point of death.

Inserting nolockd into /home's mount options in fstab makes everything work
again.

Question is, is this a bug in k3b or the NFS code on 8? The alpha k3b (1.6-
something?) for KDE4 is broken badly (refuses to have anything to do with
cdrecord even with cdrecord being suid root, seems to try to specify the
device using its devname which cdrecord complains loudly about) so trying
this is not an option, although it does manage to at least start up, post
the splash screen and create the GUI, unlike the 1.0.5 version with lockd
enabled. Posting to kde-freebsd first in case anyone else has seen this and
can shed some light.
--
Matt Dawson
MTD15-RIPE