[kde-freebsd] KDE and Grub

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sun May 17 09:29:49 CEST 2009

On Monday 11 May 2009 18:44:41 David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 11 May 2009 07:26:51 am David Naylor wrote:
> > Also, since FreeBSD does support suspending [S3?] (and standby [S1?]) why
> > are these options not shown and where can they be enabled.
>
> Taking a quick look at the sources, the shutdown dialog gets this info from
> Solid (the hardware manager) which in turn gets its info from HAL. So I
> would look at HAL to see why it's not as FreeBSD friendly as it should be.

I had a look and it appears HAL should detect suspend states perfectly fine.
My desktop doesn't support either so not suprising it isn't visible.  I
didn't find anything in kdelibs to suggest discrimination against FreeBSD.
HAL and KDE do not support standby (S1) states.

Can anyone confirm they have suspend options available in KDE4?

On the grub topic, I could only find commented references to grub in kdelib
(nothing in HAL) and the comments are not about reboot options.  Looking
further into grub it appears to have only limited support for specifying the
OS for next reboot.  This requires having the "default saved" line in
menu.lst and (depending on your setup) "savedefault [0-9]" at the end of each
boot option.  One could then use grub-set-default to change the next boot
target (please make sure  grub-set-default is called at least once before
rebooting, after installing grub otherwise grub fails to boot anything).

This leads me to believe 'OS on next boot' options are a distro specific extra
and can be achieved by alternative means.

If anyone would like an example of how to do this just ask and I'll post an
example.

Regards