[kde-freebsd] phonon matters

Matt datahead4 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 21:21:07 CET 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> wrote:
>>> Anyone know which version(s) of phonon are really needed, and if phonon-xine is
>>> needed, if anyone knows why it won't recognize the install target?  There isn't
>>> anything wrong with the files in my phonon-xine port directory, I already
>>> suspected that, and if mine is wrong, the FreeBSD archive is also.
>>
>> KDE4.2 ships with it's own version of phonon that is different (newer,
>> I believe) than the Phonon included with QT4.  It is not possible to
>> build KDE4.2 with the QT4 version of Phonon that is in our ports tree.
>>  There is no way to make both KDE and QT happy with a common Phonon
>> installation - it's one or the other, not both.
>
> You realize, I hope, that since qt4 is an absolutely uncontestable dependency of
> kde4, telling me that phonon can be one or the other, but not both, is crazy on
> it's face.  Either you're not telling me the entire story, or maybe I'm
> basically missing something that you think is obvious?  I would be willing to
> gamble large amounts that it's my misunderstanding you, could you maybe give
> this one more try?

I'll try and spell it out more clearly - you have two base ports to
choose from for installing Phonon and you can only have one of them
installed at a time.  They are:

- multimedia/phonon
- multimedia/qt4-phonon

If you want to build and install the KDE4 desktop, you MUST use the
multimedia/phonon port and select from multimedia/phonon-xine and/or
multimedia/phonon-gstreamer ports for the multimedia/phonon backend.

If you install multimedia/phonon, then you can NOT install
multimedia/qt4-phonon as they are conflicting ports.  The side effect
of this is that some QT4 ports (such as misc/qt4-qtdemo) will not be
able to be installed while you have KDE4 installed because of the
Phonon port conflict.

Matt