[kde-freebsd] more kde4 upgrading problems

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue Mar 17 21:45:39 CET 2009

Max Brazhnikov wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:00:15 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> Just so you understand, all these problems I'm having, they probably all
>> come from my stubborn refusal to delete my previous kde3.5 setup until I
> nobody is forced to delete KDE3 in order to install KDE4. They can coexist and
> they will do this until KDE3 EOL. Your problems 'probably' come from your
> broken installed packages. I suggest you to delete all packages and do a
> complete reinstallation of your ports.

I guess that would be possible, but pretty unlikely, because I very seldom
install from packages.  I either use ports, or occaisonally, if I want something
at variance and feel I can hide if from ports well enough, I might install
something without a port.  But I use plain packages really rarely, never with kde.

I guess I could pick out a new PREFIX directory to reinstall to, but I know from
personal experience that there are at least several (several I have seen myself)
ports which are broken as far as really respecting PREFIX settings.  Caught
those about 18 months ago, I forget where they were, but there was more than
just one.

Actually, I have every linking-type problem I found already fixed.  I've hit
problems in building deskutils/strigi dealing with c++ includes, and that's a
lot more difficult for me, I haven't run it down yet.  In that one case, I am
willing to bend my -no-packages- bias, just because it's causing me so much trouble.

That "greplib" I posted really helped me run down all the linking problems,
about 10 of them.  I understand C++, but not (speaking honestly) as well as I
know C, which is why strigi is such a problem.