[kde-freebsd] Kde4 fills /var in one day

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.kde at mailing.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 18 18:11:11 CEST 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 07:45:45 Patrick Lamaiziere wrote:
> Le Tue, 16 Jun 2009 03:51:40 +0800,
> Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> > Yes, I have the same problem here.
> > In fact, I'm not using the KDE environment, just KDE apps.
> > You may find that KDE is repeatedly running kbuildsycoca4 at the
> > DirWatch rate at the console.
> > If I enter "kquitapp kded", then the space kde4 has taken up would
> > come back.
>
> You are right, the problem is in kded4 but it is not related to
> Kbuildsycoca4. I think that the culprit is kdirwatch, I must disable
> the option CheckUpdates in kdedrc.
>
> But i can't find which file is growing, du (or lsof) does not see the
> file, it is a temporary deleted file I think. I tried truss and ktrace
> without success, it is too verbose.

If it is a temporary and unlinked file, you need to ktrace kded4 from the
start to get it's fd, then track that fd and see what is written to it.
Unfortunately, I don't see a quick way to specify how kded4 is invoked on
desktop start up. It looks to be inside kdeinit4, rather then from startkde4
shell script.
--
Mel