[kde-freebsd] KDE 4 processes get into unkillable state

Mel Flynn mel.flynn+fbsd.kde at mailing.thruhere.net
Wed Jun 10 17:02:54 CEST 2009

Hi,

sorry for the crosspost, but it's relevant for both lists.
After a random amount of time, or more to the point - after a certain network
condition, KDE4 processes can get into an unkillable state.

procstat -t:
  PID    TID COMM             TDNAME           CPU  PRI STATE   WCHAN
 2237 100077 klauncher        initial thread     1  128 lock    *unp_mtx

procstat -k:
  PID    TID COMM             TDNAME           KSTACK
 2237 100077 klauncher        initial thread   mi_switch turnstile_wait
_mtx_lock_sleep uipc_peeraddr kern_getpeername getpeername syscall
Xint0x80_syscall

WARNING: running procstat -f on the process hangs the entire machine, no panic
generated.

It's hard for me to generate a test case for it, but I've seen it in various
KDE4 processes, at least in konqueror, klauncher, kio_http and kontact. Also
pulseaudio when I was using that sound backend briefly.

Anyone have an idea whether this is KDE4 specific or (what my hunch is at the
moment) what scenario can create this hang in getpeername?

If anyone is interested, I will try to collect more info the next time I see a
process and if so, please let me know what info is useful.
--
Mel