[kde-freebsd] Headsup: boost-python moved to boost-python-libs

Dwayne MacKinnon dmk at ncf.ca
Thu Jul 30 05:41:06 CEST 2009

Martin Wilke wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 02:08:40PM -0400, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Just wanted to warn everyone: the boost-python port has been changed to boost-
>> python-libs.  This is a bit inconvenient for us, as akonadi relies on boost-
>> python. If you use portupgrade, you should be able to accomplish it by doing a
>> portupgrade -o devel/boost-python-libs boost-python.
>>
>> What's really painful is that the boost-python-libs port is installing pyste
>> by default. pyste requires gccxml, which can only build with gcc34.
>
> WTF? GCC-3.4 ? that's a joke or?

No joke. Take a look at the Makefile:

.if ${ARCH} == "alpha"
BROKEN=		Build fails on alpha
.elif ${OSVERSION} >= 700042
# GCC-XML has some constructs that GCC 4.2 does not like. Namely,
# the use of casted-pointer-dereferences as an lvalue to post-increment
# operations.
USE_GCC= 3.4
CONFIGURE_ENV+=	CC=${LOCALBASE}/bin/gcc34 \
		CPP="${CC} -E" \
		CXX=${LOCALBASE}/bin/g++34
MAKE_ENV+=	CC=${LOCALBASE}/bin/gcc34 \
		CPP="${CC} -E" \
		CXX=${LOCALBASE}/bin/g++34
.endif

I've done some more experimenting. In order to make the switch you
really have to uninstall the current boost-python port and then install
boost-python-libs. Also, the Makefile for boost-python-libs would be
really easy to modify with a bunch of .if defined (WITH_PYSTE) .endif
sections. I actually made something along those lines while upgrading
today, but I'm now totally swamped with work stuff and have no time to
formalize it and submit a patch to the maintainer.

If you don't install pyste, you don't need gccxml. I .if 'ed out the
RUN_DEPENDS that mentions gccxml and installed the port that way no
problem. No pyste, no gccxml and no gcc34.

Cheers,
DMK