[kde-freebsd] upgrading from 4.2.4 to 4.3-rc2: some feedback

Fluffy.Khv.RU mail fluffy.khv at ael.ru
Fri Jul 17 16:08:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 17:12:22 +0000, Alberto Villa wrote
> the not so nice part is kdeplasma-addons being dependent on kdeedu i
> think...

I dislike this too, but dependency to marble unconditionally hardcoded into
sources. :(

> anyway, i've been using kde 4.3-rc2 for a day so far, and it's
> working nicely. i've not upgraded
> kde(games|pim|utils|admin|sdk|webdev|network|graphics|multimedia)
>  yet, but i can't see any new problem. performance is good, far
> better than
> 4.2 (kdeinit sometimes goes up to 60%, but i've not hacked the
> dirwatch polltimeout yet, it could be that), sans is antialiased (i
> don't care, but someone was, time ago), and 3d effects aren't
> crashing the same xorg they used to in kde 4.2. unfortunately,
> powerdevil still doesn't find its profiles, and i'm not able to
> install fonts yet (yes, i started with a clean configuration) also,
>  i don't have audio working: there's no available backend in kde
> settings (qt4-phonon-gst was automatically installed). i'm now going
> to reinstall qt4-phonon-gst, and then i'll try with phonon-xine if
> that is not working. by the way, can someone tell me the difference
> between choosing one of them or installing both?

Audio works wine with pulseaudio. And yes, with qt4-phonon-gst kde' control
applet doesn't exist, but is not depends.
Anyway, you can install phonon-xine and switch to it.

> On 7/16/09, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> rebuilding math/facile fixed it. i think its portrevision should be
> >> bumped because of a lang/ocaml update: should i file a pr?
> >
> > I am not convinced the two are related, unless we get more feedback on this
> > one.
>
> i don't know, i read somewhere that such a problem can be fault of a
> non-up to date ocaml module, and rebuilding it worked

Ocaml libs is a problem. With any main ocaml update all its libs should be
recompiled.

--
Dmitry "Red Fox" Panov @ Home | KDE at FreeBSD Team | FreeBSD since September 1995
Khabarovsk, Russia     | Skype:dima.panov | Jabber.org:fluffy.khv | ICQ:1745024