[kde-freebsd] upgrading from 4.2.4 to 4.3-rc2: some feedback

Alberto Villa villa.alberto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:12:22 CEST 2009

the not so nice part is kdeplasma-addons being dependent on kdeedu i think...

anyway, i've been using kde 4.3-rc2 for a day so far, and it's working
nicely. i've not upgraded
kde(games|pim|utils|admin|sdk|webdev|network|graphics|multimedia) yet,
but i can't see any new problem. performance is good, far better than
4.2 (kdeinit sometimes goes up to 60%, but i've not hacked the
dirwatch polltimeout yet, it could be that), sans is antialiased (i
don't care, but someone was, time ago), and 3d effects aren't crashing
the same xorg they used to in kde 4.2. unfortunately, powerdevil still
doesn't find its profiles, and i'm not able to install fonts yet (yes,
i started with a clean configuration)
also, i don't have audio working: there's no available backend in kde
settings (qt4-phonon-gst was automatically installed). i'm now going
to reinstall qt4-phonon-gst, and then i'll try with phonon-xine if
that is not working. by the way, can someone tell me the difference
between choosing one of them or installing both?

On 7/16/09, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> rebuilding math/facile fixed it. i think its portrevision should be
>> bumped because of a lang/ocaml update: should i file a pr?
>
> I am not convinced the two are related, unless we get more feedback on this
> one.

i don't know, i read somewhere that such a problem can be fault of a
non-up to date ocaml module, and rebuilding it worked

i'm leaving tomorrow, so i won't be able to make other tests for some
days, but let me know if i can help in any way, and i'll try to when
i'll be back
--
Alberto Villa <villa.alberto at gmail.com>