[kde-freebsd] kde4 port options

Max Brazhnikov makc at issp.ac.ru
Sat Jan 31 15:44:46 CET 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 07:38:09 -0600 (CST), Wes Morgan wrote:
> I've noticed that almost all of the KDE packages/bundles have dependencies
> that are not "required". Take kdegraphics, for instance - it wants to
> install gphoto2 and sane, but those are optional packages. I don't have a
> scanner and don't want to use kamera, but the only way around is to edit
> the makefiles. Are there any plans to add port knobs to make those kind of
> components optional?

No. We simply do not have enough people/power/time to do this. Maintaining
ports with options is much harder, especially for big projects like KDE with
lots of optional components. As maintainer you should check that with any
combination port compiles, installs and deinstalls flawlessly.
And, personally I think options should be used only for meta port (like
x11/kde4), so that optional components would be available for those who uses
packages. I know KDE/Gentoo team practises that approach. If someone could do
the same for KDE ports join us, you are welcome!

Max