[kde-freebsd] KDE 4.2 BETA 2 slowness

A.Rios cosasvarias at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 16:19:12 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Max Brazhnikov <makc at issp.ac.ru> wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:00:09 -0800, David Johnson wrote:
>> I've built kdelibs4 and the kdebase4 ports. No problems noticed during
>> build. However, running the KDE4 desktop is agonizingly slow. It takes
>> about two minutes to login, and individual apps taking over a minute to
>> start. While running most apps seem responsive. Desktop effects are off.
>> I've cleared out old configuration data, and even switched back to 4BSD
>> scheduler. All to no effect.
>>
>> System: 7.1-RELEASE, 2.8Ghz P4 single core, 1GiB RAM.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Please note that area51 ports for beta and rc releases are built with debug:
> https://kf.athame.co.uk/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/area51/Mk/bsd.kde4.mk?r1=4415&r2=4427
>
> You can disable debug support, kde surely will run faster. However two minutes
> for logon seems to much for me. On my box I feel the difference bitween
> debug/release builds, but it's not so impressive.

Yep, in my 2.5 ghz cpu KDE 4.2 takes 42 seconds between 'startx' (just
'exec startkde' in .xinitrc) and the full loaded desktop, with a
direct compilation from area51 code. Debug enabled. You should check
for any error in logs.

(Just for the record, with the chrono in hand, firefox loads in 12 seconds)